In this post, we look at how to unlock the bootloader of Honor 9 Lite. The same procedure applies to virtually all models from LLD AL00 to LLD-TL10. Huawei is without a doubt one of the top smartphone brands from China. The company has almost a cult following domestically when it enjoys a strong base in almost all its consumer electronics divisions. Huawei is particularly focused on ensuring it maintains a lead in mobile technology and they’re doing this by leveraging the power of artificial intelligence.
Unlocking the bootloader of Android devices such as the Honor 9 Lite is common among Android hobbyists and enthusiasts. But you might find the process rather intimidating if you’re new to modding. It’s a fairly easy thing to do but also fraught with risks if you do it wrong. So while unlocking the bootloader brings about a lot of benefits such as unlimited customizations. What most don’t mention are the inherent risks of the process and they can be many. So let’s look at the risks before we delve into the steps involved to unlock the bootloader.
Risks of unlocking the bootloader of Honor 9 Lite:
- Depending on your region, unlocking the bootloader could void your device warranty. Ensure to check.
- If you’re unlocking in order to install a custom ROM, beware some aftermarket firmware are not regularly updated with security patches which exposes your device to malware.
- You risk bricking your device if you mess around with the bootloader without full understanding of the rooting procedure.
- Unlocking the bootloader and rooting might result in your device being locked out of OTA updates by Huawei.
Disclaimer: Gadgetsay.com will not be responsible for any damage or loss incurred due to your use of this information. Rooting and flashing custom ROM are procedures usually meant for advanced users so ensure you’re fully informed and proceed with caution.
Steps to Unlock Bootloader of Honor 9 Lite
You won’t be able to install any third-party software on your Honor 9 smartphone without first unlocking the bootloader. Be it aftermarket ROMs, custom recoveries or other Mods and even rooting the phone. The Honor 9 Lite differs from other Android smartphones like Google Nexus and Pixels series in the unlocking procedure. Unlocking the bootloader of the Honor 9 Lite involves 3 key steps as follows:
- Get unlock password from Huawei
- Unlock bootloader via Fastboot
Follow each step precisely and you’ll have your Honor 9 Lite bootloader unlocked in no time. Let’s get started.
- Back-up your device. All data saved in your internal storage including pictures will be erased during the process. So check out our guide on How to Back-up Android Smartphone Data without Root.
- Get Huawei USB Drivers for your computer.
- Next, install ADB and Fastboot drivers on your computer.
- Get your smartphone product ID and serial number by dialing *#*#1357946#*#*
- Finally, the device IMEI from Settings >> System >> About Phone.
In the next step, we’ll get the unique unlock password from Huawei in order to unlock the bootloader.
Get Unlock Password from Huawei
1. Launch your PC browser and go to the Huawei unlock page.
2. Sign-in with your Huawei credentials.
3. Scroll to the page bottom and click next.
4. Select Since EMUI 5.0 from the drop-down menu.
5. Enter the details you received from step 1.
6. Choose the Commit button.
7. The unlock password appears on the screen.
8. Write down the password somewhere or copy onto a notepad on your PC.
Once you have your unlocking password. The final step will be to run the Fastboot command with the unique unlock password that you now have.
Unlock Bootloader of Honor 9 Lite
1. Turn off the phone and connect to PC via USB. Next press the Volume Down button for 3 seconds and release when you see Fastboot Mode on screen.
2. Browse to C:\adb, this is the location where you install ADB and Fastboot drivers.
3. Right-Click over it while holding down the SHIFT key.
4. Choose “Open Powershell Windows Here.”
5. Make sure your device is detected by using the command
6. You can now unlock the bootloader your device by using the command:
fastboot oem unlock 'unlock-password'
7. Swap the “unlock password” part in the command above with the unlock password you received from Huawei. It’s about 16-Digits long. So should look something like
fastboot oem unlock BBTYB121361OUB12
8. Once you run the command, you’ll get a confirmation message on the screen. Choose “Yes” and confirm with the power button.
9. Your device will restart immediately and initiate a factory reset.
Your device will boot back to the operating system. Once you unlock the bootloader you’ll get a warning each time you boot. Do not worry about the message, it’s very normal. The next step after unlocking the bootloader is rooting your device and install Magisk or SuperSU. A custom recovery like TWRP will give you elevated privileges over your firmware.
And that wraps up our guide on how to unlock the bootloader of Honor 9 Lite. We hope you enjoyed reading along. We still have loads to check out and learn. See you in the next post.