Powered by Qualcomm Snapdragon 439 Mobile Platform, the Redmi 7A has been one of the best budget devices of 2019. We reckon most of you might be rocking the device even now completely satisfied for its performance despite being literally dirt cheap device. The device can now be bought for a price as low as $70 in certain regions, making it the best device for custom development.
Thanks to the Qualcomm SoC and kernel source available for the public, the Redmi 7A has got great support from custom developers. It has got TWRP support although unofficial, which unlocks myriads of custom development possibilities such as rooting and installing custom ROMs/GSI’s. Here, we’ll go through how to flash TWRP and root Redmi 7A. So, let’s begin with the process of bootloader unlock.
How-to Unlock the Bootloader of Redmi 7A
Disclaimer: Bootloader unlock may erase your data. So backup all the necessary data before proceeding.
- Minimal ADB and Fastboot: Downloads
- Patched boot .img file (Choose the correct file according to your system version!): Download
- TWRP recovery: Download
- Magisk: Download
Once all the necessary files are downloaded and set-up. Proceed with the given steps.
- If not yet, create a Xiaomi Mi account and log-in to your device with the same credentials.
- Then visit Xiaomi’s bootloader unlock page
- Click the Unlock Now button and then log into your Mi account
- Wait for the bootloader to unlock the approval SMS message.
You need to have a Mi account created, confirmed, and attached to a phone number so Xiaomi can verify you are the owner of this device.
Open the Settings app on your device.
- Go to Mi Account, and log-in if not already done.
- Enable the Sync option and Find Device (You might need to enter the password if prompted)
- Enable Developer Options, then OEM Unlock and USB Debugging on the Redmi 7A
- Download and Extract the Mi Unlock Tool to your PC
- Run the Mi Unlock program
It should be a file named “miflash_unlock.exe”.
- Sign in to your Mi Account on the Mi Flash Unlock Tool. Make sure to login with the same Mi ID you’ve used while requesting for the unlock.
- Boot the Redmi Note 7A into Fastboot Mode: Once the device has been shut off, press and hold the Power and Volume Down buttons together at the same time. Continue holding these two buttons down until you get to the Redmi 7A Fastboot Mode splash screen.
- Connect your device to the PC via micro USB cable.
- Click the Unlock button at the bottom of the Mi Unlock program
- Wait through the two warning pop-up messages and click the Unlock Anyway button
You should see the Unlock Anyway button appear after the countdown finishes.
- Wait for the Mi Unlock program to go through the Verify Device phase
- If everything goes smoothly you should see this image on the Mi Unlock program
Once the unlock is successful, the device would reboot automatically and during the phase, it’ll wipe the system/internal storage. So, as said earlier, don’t forget to backup important data.
Sometimes, Xioami would insist to wait for a period of time until you can unlock the device upon clicking the Unlock Anyway button mentioned in step 16. If that’s so, you’ve to wait the amount of time you were told and once done, repeat the steps once again.
Once the bootloader is unlocked it’s time to flash the TWRP.
How to Flash TWRP on Redmi 7A
Warning: You will lose all your data on the phone. Do a backup of your personal stuff before proceeding. Be careful as you may brick your device.
Flashing TWRP on your device also requires you to have a patched boot image flashed on the system. Follow the steps given below.
- Download and save the recovery.img and patched_boot.img of your device model to your PC.
- Boot your device to fastboot
- Once in fastboot; Input the following commands
fastboot flash boot boot.img
- That will flash the patched_boot.img to system
- Then input the below commands and hit enter
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
- Now, the TWRP should be flashed successfully on your device.
- Reboot to TWRP by using the command
- In TWRP swipe to allow modification and then go to Wipe > Format Data > “yes”.
- Here only, you can root by flashing Magisk via TWRP
- From TWRP Main menu go to Install > Choose the latest Magisk saved on your device external SD card and confirm to flash.
- Finally, reboot to System
That’s it, Magisk should be installed on your Redmi 7A. Install a Root Checker app on your device to check the root.