Hey, Republic of Gamers’ members. Chilling with your powerful Asus ROG Phone II? Then, why not try rooting it to unlock other superuser privileges and features. Here you’ll find all the details needed to successfully root the ROG Phone II.
Must See: Asus Rog Phone 3 goes official with 144Hz display, Snapdragon 865/865+ SoC, 6000 mAh battery for €800
Since the official bootloader unlock tool for the device has been released. Rooting won’t be a cumbersome process in the case of ROG Phone II.
- Asus ROG Phone II Unlock Tool: Download
- Official TWRP: Download
- Magisk: Download
- ADB and Fastboot: Download
Root Asus ROG Phone II
The ROG Phone II has the support of the official TWRP team. As a result, the device has the latest official TWRP 3.4.0. So we’ll make use of Magisk to root the device. Follow the guide carefully.
1. Unlock Bootloader of ROG Phone II
Warning: Unlocking the bootloader voids the warranty of the device and disables OTA updates. Also, note that unlocking the bootloader wipes all your data, so do a complete backup before proceeding.
First, you’ve to get your device bootloader unlocked by using the official tool.
- Download and Install the Unlock tool given above on your device
- Open the app and proceed to unlock the device.
- You’ll be treated with many warnings and disclaimer, just agree to all of them and accept the bootloader unlocking request.
- Once you successfully unlocked the bootloader it’s time to flash the TWRP.
2. Flash Official TWRP and Magisk
- Download the official TWRP and save it on a PC.
- Enable USB Debugging on your device. If you don’t know how to, then follow the guide from here.
- From your computer which has ADB and Fastboot installed, open a command prompt and type:
adb reboot bootloader
- You should now be in fastboot mode.
- Download the correct image file and copy the file into the same folder as your platform-tools. Rename the image to twrp.img and type:
fastboot boot twrp.img
- Once the flashing completes, reboot your device to TWRP (
fastboot reboot recovery)
- Swipe to allow modification on your device.
- Move the DM-Verity.zip and Magisk.zip to your internal storage via MTP in TWRP.
- Go to Install on TWRP.
- Flash Magisk
- Then DM-Verity
- Reboot to system.
Your device should now be rooted. Check for the Magisk Manager app installed on your app drawer. If not installed manually install the APK.
Note: Since the device uses DM-Verity, swiping to allow system modifications will prevent you from being able to boot if you are using the stock kernel. In order to bypass DM-Verity’s boot prevention, you will have to flash the DM-Verity disabler.
If something bad happens while rooting such as boot loop or system crashes, then you may flash the stock firmware downloaded from here.
The Asus ROG Phone II boasts the last year’s flagship Qualcomm Snapdragon 855 Plus SoC coupled with 12GB RAM, 512GB UFS 3.0 storage. For buttery smooth viewing experience, it has a 120Hz FHD+ AMOLED display of 240Hz touch sampling rate and 49ms touch latency. A massive 6,000 mAh battery fuels the device with 30W fast charging support. Even in 2020, the device is a complete package albeit.