TWRP is yet to officially support the Samsung Galaxy J8. This has been a bit of a let down in the past to users of this device. However, Galaxy J8 owners interested in modding now have a reason to smile. An unofficial version of the TWRP for the Galaxy J8 has been released and is available via XDA. In light of this development, we’ll show you how to root Galaxy J8 and Install TWRP recovery in this article. The steps are pretty simple and straightforward.
Disclaimer: Rooting may void your device warranty. Gadgetsay.com will not be responsible for any damage or loss incurred due to your use of this information. Rooting and flashing custom ROM are procedures usually meant for advanced users so ensure you’re fully informed and proceed with caution.
Root Galaxy J8 and Install TWRP
- Samsung Galaxy J8 with an unlocked bootloader.
- Download and Install USB Drivers on your computer.
- Back-up your device data. Check our guide on how to backup Android smartphones without root access.
- Enable USB debugging and Developer Options.
- Charge your smartphone to at least 60%.
- Get the latest version of Odin for Galaxy J8.
- SuperSu for Galaxy J8. Download Link
- TWRP for Galaxy J8 (Unofficial).
Steps to Install TWRP Recovery on Galaxy J8
- Extract the downloaded TWRP recovery image from zipping. You’ll find it archived bearing .tar or .tar.md5 file extension.
- Switch-off your Galaxy J8 smartphone.
- Restart and boot into “Download Mode”, to do this press key combination “Volume Down, Home Button and Power Button” simultaneously.
- Launch Odin on your PC.
- Connect your Galaxy J8 with the PC via the original Samsung USB data cable.
- A successful connection will be confirmed by an “Added” message on the Odin window.
- Click the “AP” button on Odin and browse to locate the extracted TWRP file. (It usually ends in .tar, tar.md5).
- Next, click the “Options tab” on Odin window and tap on “Auto Reboot” and F.Reset Time. Leave other options unchecked.
- Then click on the “Start” button to start the process.
- This will initiate the process, once it completes you will get a “PASS” message on the Odin Window and your Galaxy J8 will restart automatically to finalize the process.
Root Samsung Galaxy J8 via SuperSU
- Move the downloaded SuperSU file into the internal storage of your Galaxy J8.
- Press and simultaneously hold the “Volume-up and Power button” to boot your device into TWRP recovery mode.
- Go to “install” on the TWRP menu and select the SuperSU file.
- Swipe to start the installation process.
- Return to the TWRP main menu and choose the reboot option to restart your device.
And that’s how to root Galaxy J8 and Install TWRP Recovery, the easier way. Do not hesitate to contact us via the comments section if you have any questions about this guide or the steps above. Sharing is caring, if you know someone that would benefit from this guide please do pass them the link. You can also share using the social buttons below.