Honor 9 Lite is not yet officially supported by the TWRP. However, there’s an unofficial build in XDA from a developer known as JamesBolt. We’ll be using the unofficial build from this developer in this guide on how to root honor 9 lite and install TWRP. It’s important to point out though that the unofficial build of TWRP could be unstable. Also, this process assumes you have already unlocked the bootloader of your Honor 9 Lite. If not then you might want to start by reading our guide on How to unlock the bootloader of Honor 9 Lite.
Must See: Honor X10 with Kirin 820 5G chip scores 370,000 in AnTuTu
Disclaimer: Unlocking the bootloader and rooting may void your device warranty. Gadgetsay.com will not be responsible for any damage or loss incurred due to your use of this information. Rooting and flashing custom ROM are procedures usually meant for advanced users so ensure you’re fully informed and proceed with caution.
- Honor 9 Lite with an unlocked bootloader.
- Computer with ADB and Fastboot binaries installed. Check our guide on how to download ADB and Fastboot drivers for Windows and Mac.
- Honor 9 Lite USB Drivers
- Download TWRP for your Honor 9 Lite.
- Download Magisk zip or SuperSU (Only one required).
Steps to install TWRP Recovery on Honor 9 Lite:
- Browse to the folder where you have the TWRP recovery files saved on your computer and open it.
- Launch the command prompt from within the folder. You can do that by pressing shift key and right-click anywhere over the directory/folder and then choose “Open Command Prompt Here”.
- Connect your Honor 9 Lite to your computer via USB cable. NB: Ensure you have installed the requisite USB drivers. If not go back to Prerequisite and install.
- Boot into bootloader mode by entering the command below. Tap “Ok” to proceed if your device prompts for permission.
adb reboot bootloader
- Next, run the following command via console. This should be done while your honor 9 Lite is still in bootloader mode. Important: the final part of this command that starts with twrp-3.0 xxx and ends .img should be substituted with the exact filename of the TWRP image you downloaded earlier.
fastboot flash recovery twrp-3.0.x.x-xxx.img
- Accept all permission prompts
- Fastboot command will execute and install TWRP on your Honor 9 Lite.
- Once the process completes. Run the command below to reboot the device and enter the TWRP Recovery mode.
fastboot reboot recovery
That’s it. You have successfully installed TWRP Recovery on your Honor 9 Lite. Next, we’ll look at how to root your device using Magisk or SuperSU. So do not assume that you have rooted your device just because you have installed TWRP.
Steps to root Honor 9 Lite using Magisk or SuperSU
- Download and copy Magisk or SuperSU file onto the internal storage of your Honor 9 Lite.
- Turn off your Honor 9 Lite smartphone and boot into TWRP Recovery.
- Now pick the install from the TWRP Main Menu (home screen).
- Pick Magisk zip file or SuperSU (you can only use one) from the TWRP recovery file browser.
- Slide the Swipe to Verify Flash or the TWRP screen. This will initiate the installation of either Magisk or SuperSU.
- Wait for the process to finish. Once it’s complete restart your Honor 9 Lite smartphone. The process looks like this (screenshot).
You’ve come this far, congrats. You’ve successfully rooted your Honor 9 Lite smartphone. You can verify if your device is indeed rooted by downloading the root checker app from the Google Play Store. This wraps up our guide on how to root honor 9 lite and install TWRP.