OnePlus is known for its low-cost high-quality devices. It’s a Chinese brand that has won many fans outside China. OnePlus devices are popular in many Asian countries such as India and others. Their flagship models pack impressive features but are very affordable relative to the competition. OnePlus 6 and 6T for example, were launched just years apart and feature Snapdragon 845 Chipset, AMOLED display, and high-resolution camera systems. In this article, we look at how to root OnePlus 6, and OnePlus 6T with Magisk and Install TWRP Recovery.
It’s interesting to note that even with the OnePlus devices running recent versions of Android OSes, lots of users still look for ways to root their devices. In fact, searches for ways to install TWRP on OnePlus 6 are especially high as of late.
OnePlus devices enjoy strong support within the Android developer community. All devices, from OnePlus One through OnePlus 5T, have been well supported by third-party Android developers. You can now find a lot of ROMs, MODs, and kernels for virtually every OnePlus device.
Once you have root privileges, you can install the custom ROM with advanced features. Installing a custom ROM can improve the functionality, energy efficiency, and overall performance of the device. In this article we provide a step by step process of how to root OnePlus 6T, OnePlus 6, and install TWRP.
Disclaimer: The device warranty is likely to be voided after rooting. There’s also the possibility of causing irreparable damage to your smartphone in the process. Gadgetsay.com is not responsible for damage to the smartphone or data loss.
You may not be able to stream Netflix or other streaming services at 480p after rooting. This is because the process will remove support for Widevine L1 certification.
Install TWRP on OnePlus 6/6T and Root
- Download and Install ADB and Fastboot drivers to your PC.
- Fully charge your OnePlus smartphone. The threshold is 60% charge.
- Update to the latest official firmware for your device.
- Download and install TWRP for OnePlus 6/6T.
- Download the Magisk framework.
- Unlock Bootloader of OnePlus 6 and 6T.
- Backup your important data to prevent loss.
Steps Install TWRP on OnePlus 6/6T
With recovery utility like the TWRP, you can flash custom ROM on your Android smartphone and customize all parts of the firmware. TWRP offers a UI that makes it user friendly and highly popular. Proceed with each step carefully to Install TWRP on your OnePlus 6/6T device.
1. Download the OnePlus 6/6T TWRP image file and the installer from the link provided above.
2. Move extracted Fastboot and ADB drivers folder to the desktop.
3. Connect smartphone to PC via USB cable and transfer the TWRP installer and image files (enchilada) for OnePlus 6 and (fajita) for OnePlus 6T, into the respective device.
4. Move the files in step 3. into the same location that has the extracted TWRP recovery aka platform tools.
5. Re-enable Developer Options and Advanced Reboot.
6. Boot your OnePlus 6/6T smartphone into Bootloader Mode. Use the power button to select.
7. Run command prompt in the same folder that has the TWRP Recovery aka platform tools.
8. Type the following command in Bootloader Mode.
9. The phone will restart into the TWRP recovery mode.
10. If you get the message “Unmodified system partition”, resolve it by swiping the slider.
11. Tap “Install” and select TWRP installer for the respective model from the internal storage.
12. Install TWRP on OnePlus 6/6T by swiping the button.
13. Restart Device and enjoy it!
TWRP has been successfully installed on OnePlus 6/6T. Next, let’s explore how to root using Magisk.
Root OnePlus 6/6T with Magisk
Magisk is a widely used rooting application. It competes with SuperSu and enables users to grant or revoke superuser on the app level, unlike SuperSU. It’s particularly good with apps that limit usage upon device rooting. Magisk will effectively hide device root status from the Google Safety Net. Below is the procedure on how to root your OnePlus 6/6T (works the same for both devices).
1. Go to the prerequisite above and download Magisk.
2. Connect your smartphone to the computer via USB and transfer the downloaded file to the internal storage.
3. Disconnect the device and power it off.
4. Hold the Power + Volume Down button together to get into TWRP recovery mode.
5. Once you boot into recovery, tap “Install” button and flash Magisk Installer zip from storage.
6. Flash Magisk by swiping the button.
7. Reboot device to complete the process.
That’s it. Now you have superuser and root privileges on your OnePlus smartphone. You’ll notice that Magisk has also installed a companion app to manage root access. Make sure you update it before use. You also have other Magisk modules to enhance device functions even further. Hope this guide was helpful. Do not hesitate to share it if so.