The Snapdragon-powered Realme 5 Pro has been a successful device among the Realme Series. Especially in the region such as India, the device performed so well in the sales number. Perhaps, the device played a crucial role in elevating the market share of Realme in India. Here, we’ll see how to unlock the bootloader, flash custom TWRP and ultimately root the device with Magisk.
As in the case with the latest Realme devices, we’ll be making use of the in-depth test method facilitated by official Unlock Tool APK.
Unlock Bootloader Tutorial for Realme 5 Pro
Disclaimer: Unlocking your phone erase ALL OF YOUR DATA! Don’t forget to backup before you proceed. Moreover, Widevine L1 will be replaced by Widevine L3, so no HD streaming on some platforms such as Netflix.
- A PC with ADB and Fastboot installed
- Realme 5 Pro Unlock tool.
- Your device should be running Android 10 official firmware.
- A USB cable and your device battery should be at least 60%.
- Unlock Tool: Download.
- TWRP 3.3 for Realme 5 Pro (RMX1971); Download
- Magisk 20.4: Download.
- Vbmeta – Disable Boot Verification & DM-Verity; Download
- Realme 5 Pro Stock Firmware: Download
Once you’ve set-up all the essentials. Follow the below steps to get started.
- Make sure you’ve enabled OEM Unlock and USB Debugging from Developer options settings.
- Install and Open Unlock tool on your device.
- Click “Start applying”.
- Read the disclaimer in detail. If you’re good to go, then select the checkbox, and submit your application.
- The application will be forwarded to Realme servers for verification.
- Approximately 10 – 15 minutes later, the unlock tool APK should show the status of the unlock request.
- If it shows the unlocking successful, then you’re good to go. (If unsuccessful make sure you’ve active internet connection and try once again from the 1st step).
- Now click “Start the in-depth test” and the device will reboot automatically. The following string will display on the screen: fast boot_unlock_verify ok.
- After that, connect your phone to PC via Fastboot mode.
- Enter the command:
adb reboot bootloader
- Enter the command:
fastboot flashing unlock
- Now on your phone press the Volume Up key to select “UNLOCK THE BOOTLOADER”
- Upon you press the Volume Up, your phone will reboot and enter the in-depth test mode.
- The in-depth test mode will erase data and unlock the bootloader fully.
- That’s it, you now have an unlocked Realme 5 Pro.
Since the official unlock tool isn’t available the above method may or may not work for some. If you’re able to get the bootloader unlocked then it’s time to root. If not unlocked then you’re out of luck and wait for Realme to release the in-depth tool designated for Realme 5 Pro.
Flash TWRP Recovery on Realme 5 Pro
WARNING! Proceed further if and only if you know the risk associated with flashing custom recovery or rooting. We’re not responsible for any damage or data loss that happens to your device on following this procedure. Do this at your own risk!
Once the necessary drivers and tools are downloaded and installed it’s time to flash the TWRP via fast boot.
- From your computer, open a command prompt and type:
adb reboot bootloader
- You should now be in fastboot mode.
- Download the correct image file and copy the file into the same folder as your platform-tools. Rename the image to twrp.img and type:
fastboot flash recovery twrp.img
- Once the flashing completes, reboot the device.
As a matter of fact, many devices will replace your custom recovery automatically during first boot. To prevent this, the first boot following the TWRP flash should be to the recovery itself. After typing “fastboot reboot“, hold the key combo and boot to TWRP. Once TWRP is booted, TWRP will patch the stock ROM to prevent the stock ROM from replacing TWRP. If you don’t follow this step, you will have to likely repeat the install.
Root Realme 5 Pro Using Magisk
Important: SD Card is required to root the Realme device cause of internal storage encryption.
Once you’re in the TWRP it’s time to flash the Magisk.
- In TWRP, go to Wipe > Format Data. Enter the keyword ‘yes‘, in the provided space and enter. This will wipe the automatically encrypted filesystem, and decrypt it.
- Once the wiping is done, reboot back into recovery. Go to Reboot > Recovery.
- When the recovery boots again and if the Magisk hasn’t been saved on the external card, then connect your phone to the PC and Enable MTP under the Mount section.
- Transfer the downloaded Magisk.zip to your external storage.
- Disconnect the device from PC.
- Tap on Install from TWRP. Now, navigate your phone’s storage and select ‘Magisk-**.zip’. Finally swipe the ‘Swipe to confirm Flash’ button on the bottom of the screen.
- The flashing process will take merely a few seconds.
- Now flash Vbmeta.zip.
- Wait for 1 to 2 minutes after all the zip files are done flashing then reboot to System and that’s it!
Your phone may take 3-5 minutes to boot the first time and it might boot-loop once or twice at the Realme boot logo or splash screen but no need to panic as it’ll eventually boot. To confirm whether your device is rooted, search for the Magisk Manager icon on the app drawer or use a root checker app.