Xiaomi Redmi 6A smartphone launched with Android 8.1 (Oreo), upgradable to Android 9.0 (Pie), and MIUI 11. In case a user is not happy with the MIUI OS, they can always flash custom ROM, but in order to do that, they must first root their device. In this guide we’ll look at how to root Redmi 6A and install Magisk. Ensure you read the preparatory steps first before you get into the guide in order to complete the process successfully.
Please be informed that once you root 6A, your device will likely stop receiving OTA updates from your device manufacturer. Any attempts to do so would trigger security alerts. You may have to flash the firmware whenever you want to return to MIUI. Familiarity with rooting and rooted devices is especially important to developers in case one needs to resolve an issue with such a Redmi 6A. Let’s get started looking at how to Root Redmi 6A and install Magisk.
Root Xiaomi Redmi 6A
The Xiaomi Redmi 6A bootloader is easier to unlock unlike devices such as Samsung from Verizon which has an almost impenetrable bootloader. This makes it fairly easy to root 6A or any other Xiaomi Redmi device. Once you root, then installing a custom Recovery utility like TWRP or another becomes even easier. In this guide, we’ll delve into the procedure of rooting Redmi 6A. These steps are absolutely easy to follow and do. Later on we’ll install Magisk.
TWRP will enable us to flash an updated version of Magisk into a Xiaomi Redmi 6A in order to obtain root access. Once you make TWRP resident on your device. Things get much easier whether you’re looking to flash a custom ROM or something else. It’s absolutely easy. SO chill and follow along.
Disclaimer: Rooting gives Android users permission to execute functions on their devices that are ordinarily not possible or permitted. Under certain circumstances these functions can be detrimental to your device and even lead to damage or loss. Gadgetsay.com will not be responsible for any damage or loss incurred due to your use of this information. Android device rooting is usually meant for advanced users so ensure you’re fully informed and proceed with caution.
- Enable USB Debugging Mode and OEM Unlock
- Redmi 6A smartphone with an unlocked bootloader
- Download and install ADB and Fastboot drivers on your PC.
- Get the latest version of Magisk and save it to your device’s internal memory.
- Get the TWRP Recovery file and save it in your device’s internal memory as well and rename it to recovery.img.
- Download LazyFlasher and save it in your mobile.
- Charge device to 60%+
- Backup your device’s current files and data.
Step 1: Unlock Bootloader of Redmi 6A using ADB and Fastboot
- Visit the official Mi Bootloader Unlock portal and sign in with your Mi Account credentials.
- Provide details like IMEI, phone number, the reason for unlocking. Confirmation code will be sent to your smartphone. Key in the confirmation code into the Mi website then request for unlocking. You will get a confirmation email upon approval within 2-10 Days.
- Download and Install the Mi Flash Tool from the confirmation email. Sign in to the same Mi Account, one you applied for approval, and received the Software.
- Turn off your Redmi 6A. Connect it to the PC via USB cable. Boot into Fastboot mode. This can be done by pressing and holding down the “Volume Down” + “Power button” simultaneously for a while. Your Redmi 6A will boot into Fastboot mode.
- Once you’ve successfully booted into Fastboot mode, Choose “Unlock”. This will take 2-3 minutes to complete the process. Once the process completes successfully, Restart your device.
- Go to “Developer Options” >> “Developer Options” >> “USB Debugging Mode” >> “OEM Unlock” and re-enable “Advanced Reboot” NB: This can sometimes auto-disable after the boot.
Step 2: Flash TWRP of Redmi 6A
- Turn off your device and boot into Fastboot mode by pressing and holding down the “Volume Down” + “Power button” simultaneously for a while. The device will boot into Fastboot mode.
- Connect the device to the computer via USB cable.
- Start fastboot on your PC. Launch Command prompt and type the command.
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
- Next, skip booting into the normal OS by entering the command below to boot into TWRP recovery mode.
fastboot boot recovery.img
- Once the process completes, your device will boot onto the temporary TWRP.
- Again, do not boot onto the standard OS until you complete the last process below which is to flash Magisk onto your device.
Step 3: Install Magisk on your Redmi 6A
NB: You can also Disable Force Encryption Treble in this final step but it’s completely optional.
- Choose >> Wipe >> Advanced Wipe >> Cache Data.
- Go back to the Home menu of TWRP and choose “Install”.
- Choose the “LazyFlasher zip”.
- After Installation, go to Home and Choose “Install”.
- Choose the Magisk.Zip file downloaded earlier. Once the installation completes, restart your Redmi 6A.
- You could also install Magisk Manager in your smartphone applications.
- Finally install the Root checker to confirm your device’s Root Status.
That pretty much wraps up our guide on how to root Redmi 6A and install Magisk. The Xiaomi Redmi 6A is an excellent mid-range smartphone that comes with at least 4GB minimum RAM. You also get monthly OTA and other significant software updates from Xiaomi for a long time. Xiaomi still pushes updates even to their EOL devices most of the time which is very encouraging. Once you’ve rooted your device possibilities are endless, you can customize it to your liking, get rid of annoying ads, or even flash custom ROM.