The recently launched POCO X3 boards a powerful Qualcomm Snapdragon 730 Mobile Platform. Xiaomi is yet to publish the kernel source for this phone. Despite, some geniuses out there has compiled an unofficial build of TWRP against a pre-built stock kernel.
That being said, POCO X3 now supports custom recovery which should pave way for various custom developments for the device. Though a handful of bugs are present, the current TWRP build can be used to at least root the device. Whatever, let’s see how to install the TWRP on your POCO X3.
Unlock Bootloader of POCO X3
Disclaimer: Bootloader unlock may erase your data. So backup all the necessary data before proceeding.
Once all the necessary files are downloaded and set-up. Proceed with the given steps. Note that, unlocking the bootloader is the same as other Xiaomi devices.
- If not yet, create a Xiaomi Mi account and log-in to your device with the same credentials.
- Then visit Xiaomi’s bootloader unlock page
- Click the Unlock Now button and then log into your Mi account
- Wait for the bootloader to unlock the approval SMS message.
You need to have a Mi account created, confirmed, and attached to a phone number so Xiaomi can verify you are the owner of this device.
Open the Settings app on your device.
- Go to Mi Account, and log-in if not already done.
- Enable the Sync option and Find Device (You might need to enter the password if prompted)
- Enable Developer Options, then OEM Unlock and USB Debugging on the POCO X3
- Download and Extract the Mi Unlock Tool to your PC
- Run the Mi Unlock program
It should be a file named “miflash_unlock.exe”.
- Sign in to your Mi Account on the Mi Flash Unlock Tool. Make sure to login with the same Mi ID you’ve used while requesting for the unlock.
- Boot the POCO X3 into Fastboot Mode: Once the device has been shut off, press and hold the Power and Volume Down buttons together at the same time. Continue holding these two buttons down until you get to the POCO X3 Fastboot Mode splash screen.
- Connect your device to the PC via micro USB cable.
- Click the Unlock button at the bottom of the Mi Unlock program
- Wait through the two warning pop-up messages and click the Unlock Anyway button
You should see the Unlock Anyway button appear after the countdown finishes.
- Wait for the Mi Unlock program to go through the Verify Device phase
- If everything goes smoothly you should see this image on the Mi Unlock program
Once the unlock is successful, the device would reboot automatically and during the phase, it’ll wipe the system/internal storage. So, as said earlier, don’t forget to backup important data.
Sometimes, Xioami would insist to wait for a period of time until you can unlock the device upon clicking the Unlock Anyway button mentioned in step 16. If that’s so, you’ve to wait the amount of time you were told and once done, repeat the steps once again.
Once you unlocked the bootloader, it’s time to flash TWRP. Read on…
Flash TWRP on POCO X3
Disclaimer: Flashing custom recovery may void your device’s warranty. So backup all the necessary data before proceeding.
- Make sure you’ve saved the TWRP on your PC. Rename it to twrp.img.
- Boot your device to fastboot mode and connect it to the PC.
fastboot flash recovery twrp.img
Wait for the flash to finish.
Then reboot in TWRP manually or using a fastboot command.
fastboot oem reboot recovery
Important: It is important that from fastboot you directly go in TWRP mode or the TWRP will be overwritten to stock recovery.
Once you’re on the TWRP, swipe to allow modification and do internal and data partition wipe. Now you can reboot to Android system or proceed further to flash custom ROMs or root the device with Magisk.