Samsung Galaxy A51 was the world’s best selling Android device in the Q1 2020. The Korean giant has been able to sell millions of them worldwide and it won’t be wrong to say the devices sold like hot cakes even during the pandemic. Powered by Samsung Exynos 9611 SoC, the A51 is an amazing device in the mid-range segment, to say the least.
By now, most of the hardcore users of the A51 might be in search of rooting their device. Thanks to Samsung letting us have the bootloader unlocked, rooting the Galaxy A51 isn’t a hard nut however requires utmost caution as in the case with any of the rooting spree. So, let’s see how to unlock the bootloader and eventually root the device with Magisk.
Unlock Galaxy A51 Bootloader
Warning: Bootloader unlock erases the data, do take a backup before proceeding.
If you made up your mind to unlock the bootloader, on your device;
- Go to the Settings app and then to About phone.
- Find your Build number.
- Tap on the Build number option 6-10 times repeatedly until you see “You’re now a developer” toast.
- Now, go to Developer options
- Enable OEM unlocking.
- Connect the device to your PC via USB cable
- Power off your device.
- Turn on your device by pressing and holding the Volume UP and DOWN simultaneously!
- The device will boot in DOWNLOAD MODE.
- Long press the Volume UP key to unlocking the bootloader. This will wipe your data and automatically reboot your device!
Your device should be now bootloader unlocked. Now you can proceed with the rooting steps.
Root Galaxy A51
Warning: Rooting trips KNOX, which in effect voids the device warranty. You can no longer use Samsung Pay, Secure Folder or other Knox-enabled apps once your root. Proceed further if and only if you know the complications of rooting.
- Odin 3.14.4: Download.
- Samsung USB Drivers: Download.
- Latest Magisk Manager: Download.
- SamFirm: Download.
Once you’ve set-up the above tools, it’s time to begin rooting.
- Download the latest stock firmware for your Samsung Galaxy A51 model. We recommend using SamFirm or Frija for the same.
- Extract the SM-A515XX_1_EXAMPLE_0000000000_fac.zip file with WinRAR, 7zip or any other unzipper.
- Copy the file which will look something like — AP_A515XXXXU1XXXX_CL00000000_QB00000000_REV00_use r_low_ship_MULTI_CERT_meta_OS10.tar.md5 and transfer it to your internal storage.
- Install the latest Magisk Manager APK.
- Open Magisk Manager.
- Tap on Install > Install > Select and Patch a file.
- Navigate through the storage manager and select the extracted AP file.
- The firmware will be patched by Magisk and will be found in Internal Storage/Download/magisk_patched.tar.
- Transfer the patched file to your PC.
- Power off your device and boot into DOWNLOAD MODE.
- From Odin, click on AP button and select the patched .tar file.
- Uncheck “Auto Reboot” and click on Start.
The tool will flash Magisk on your Samsung Galaxy A51. Once the flashing completes, there is something you’ve to take note of.
To boot in recovery or boot the system with Magisk installed, following key combinations should be used.
- Powering up normally → System without Magisk.
- Power + Volume Up → Bootloader warning → Release all buttons → System with Magisk.
- Power + Volume Up → Bootloader warning → Keep holding volume up → Actual recovery.
You’ve to go through the above key combo fiasco cause the devices likes of Galaxy A51 no longer use ramdisk in boot images. So, Magisk has no choice but to be installed in the recovery partition. On these devices, it’s required to boot to recovery every time for the Magisk to be loaded in the system.
Hope you’ve been able to successfully root your Samsung Galaxy A51. For more guides and tutorials, have a look at our dedicated section over here.