Infinix Hot 8 runs what it’s called as ChameleonOS, a custom Android skin by Infinix. Not so many developers support the device and have few to none custom ROMs for the device yet. However, what you can do is root the device by unlocking the bootloader and flashing TWRP. Here’s a step-by-step guide to do so.
Before you begin, make sure you have the following files downloaded and set-up on your devices. Note that you’ve to install the ADB drivers and the Minimal ADB and Fastboot files on your PC.
- ADB Device Drivers: Download
- Minimal ADB and Fastboot: Download
- TWRP + vbmeta + mount_system.zip: Download
- Orange State Disabler MTK: Download
- DMVerity_Encryption_DISKQuote Disabler: Download
- Latest Magisk: Download
Important: Make sure you place the third file downloaded from the above to the folder where you’ve installed Minimal ADB and Fastboot. While Orange State Disabler and DMVerity Disabler to an external SD Card on your device or an external OTG Drive.
Unlock Bootloader and Flash TWRP – Infinix Hot 8 Pro
Here are the steps to unlock the bootloader of Infinix Hot 8 Pro. Charge your device to at least 85% before proceeding further.
- Go to the Settings app.
- Then scroll down to view the System option.
- Now tap on System>About phone>Build number.
- Tap on the build number 7-8 time continuously until a pop-up notifying the developer option has been enabled.
- Now Turn on the Developer option.
- Also, turn on OEM Unlock and USB Debugging under Developer option
- Now on your PC, go to Minimal ADB & FASTBOOT installed directory. Mostly it will be on
[C:\Program Files (x86)\Minimal ADB and Fastboot]. You may have a different path so make sure the path is correct.
- Open the command prompt window from the ADB installed folder.
- Connect your Infinix to PC through USB-PORT.
- You should see this confirmation dialog box appear on your device with the computers RSA KEY fingerprint
- Tap Allow and then OK.
- Type the following command in terminal
The DAEMON should start automatically and show the attached device ID.
- Then type the following commands and hit enter.
adb reboot bootloader
- The device should be now on Fastboot mode
fastboot devicesto see the list of attached fastboot devices.
- If your device is listed, input the below command to unlock the bootloader, the device will ask for confirmation, press Vol+ for confirming.
fastboot flashing unlock
- Input the below command to flash modified vbmeta.img
fastboot --disable-verity --disable-verification flash vbmeta vbmeta.img
- Next, you’ve to flash the TWRP
- Input the below command to flash TWRP.
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
- That’s it your device now has the TWRP installed. But before you boot, there are some other things which should be done. So, DON’T BOOT to the system.
- Instead, press & Hold (VOL+Power button) for 16 – 20 seconds until you see the INFINIX POWERED BY ANDROID LOGO.
- You should be now on TWRP, follow the next step to root.
ROOT Infinix Hot 8 Pro
- From TWRP, choose Install and flash the following zip files in order, flash the mount_system.zip first and then flash orange_state_disabler.zip.
- After the flashes are complete. Reboot to recovery.
- Now after TWRP is booted flash mount_system.zip again
- Now WIPE>FORMAT DATA>Type YES>Tap ENTER
- Now Reboot to Recovery once again.
- Flash mount_system.zip, the latest Magisk.zip, and the latest DisableDMVerityForceEncrypt.zip
- Reboot to System finally.
The device may reboot several times. So don’t panic, wait for 15-30 mins.
Once the device boots successfully to the system, you should see the Magisk Manager app on the app drawer. Or take the help of such as Root Checker app to know the status of the root.