Xiaomi has launched many iconic smartphones over the years, one of them has the new Mi 10T. The Chinese smartphone giant gambled with an LCD display with 144Hz. Recently, with all the reviews pouring in, it’s safe to say that the gamble paid off. According to many reviews, it indeed houses one of the best LCD displays in the market. Xiaomi upped their game with the new 144Hz adaptive refresh rate, the device can toggle the refresh rate according to the content you are viewing. However, coming to the point. It’s a Xiaomi phone so you can obviously unlock the bootloader and from there onwards root it using Magisk. In this guide, we will help you to achieve the same systematically.
Must See: Xiaomi Mi 10T series goes official with Flagship Cameras, high refresh rates, 5G support, and powerful chipsets
More about Xiaomi’s Mi10T
At its core, the Mi 10T is powered by Qualcomm’s Snapdragon 865 chipset paired with up to 8GB of RAM and up to 128GB of internal storage. The device draws its power from a 5000mAh battery which supports 33W wired fast charging and runs on MIUI 12 based on Android 10 out of the box.
Moving towards the front, it houses a 6.67-inch screen with a resolution of 2,340 x 1,080 pixels along with a 144 Hz refresh rate. The device can toggle the refresh rate according to the content you are viewing. Additional features include the likes of HDR10 support with up to 650 nits and Corning Gorilla 5 protection. There are also a bunch of other features such as Adaptive Sync, MEMC, Sunlight Mode 3.0, Reading Mode 3.0.
For optics, it has a triple rear camera setup at the rear featuring a 64MP primary rear camera, 13MP ultra-wide-angle, and 5MP macro camera. Whereas at the front, it features a single 20MP camera for selfies.
Additionally, the device is equipped with features such as side-mounted fingerprint scanners, stereo speakers, 3D audio recording, an x-axis linear motor, NFC, Wi-Fi 6, an IR blaster, Gorilla Glass 5 on both sides including the camera housing.
What is Rooting?
Rooting is basically giving yourself privileges to access features on your phone which either would be blocked by the carrier or the actual provider of the phone. Rooting certain apps will help you increase the battery life (now that’s a lifesaver), make in-app purchases for free, or even increase the speed of your phone’s CPU by overclocking it. In short, a gold mine of apps and an opportunity to enhance your phone experience.
What is Magisk?
Magisk has basically made rooting clutter-free. This means you don’t have to be dependent on your PC to access root on your smartphone. Magisk was developed by Topjohnwu and launched in the year 2016, and since then has been widening its horizons with each passing year. The usability is very simple, all you need is the Magisk Manager where you can flash numerous MODs as per your wish directly from your smartphone.
- Back up your device data.
- Make sure you create a Mi Account and at least wait for seven days. Ignore, if you already have an existing account.
- Charge your device to at least 60 percent.
- Download the latest Mi Unlock Tool.
- Download ADB & FastBoot Drivers and save them on your PC.
- Download Xiaomi USB Drivers.
- Download stock firmware for your device and keep it on your PC.
Steps to Unlock Bootloader on your Mi 10T
- Download and install ADB & Fastboot Drivers on your PC from the link above.
- Proceed to Settings > About Phone.
- Now tap on MIUI version 7 times to enable Developer Mode.
- Once you enable Developer options, head to Settings > Additional Settings > Developer Mode.
- From there, enable OEM unlocking and USB debugging inside the Developer Mode.
- After that, proceed towards the Developer Mode > Mi Unlock Status and login to your Mi Account.
- Now turn off your device and then simultaneously long-press the Volume Down and Power button to boot your device into Fastboot mode.
- Release the buttons once the Mi Bunny logo on the display.
- After that, open the Mi Unlock Tool on your PC and sign in with your existing Mi account.
- Wait for some time, detecting the device takes a moment.
- Once done, an Unlock button will appear, tap on it to complete the process.
- After the successfully unlocked, the device will permanently erase all your existing data.
- Click Reboot phone. Enjoy!
Note: Unlocking your Bootloader may erase your data. So backup all the necessary data before proceeding. Gadgetsay is in no way responsible for any damage to the device and data.
Rooting Xiaomi Mi 10T using Magisk
Now you need to thread the needle carefully here, or else you’ll end up bricking your device for good.
Creating a patched boot image using Magisk
- Download the same firmware from the link provided above and other required files.
- Extract the files in downloaded firmware.
- Download and install the latest Magisk Manager app.
- After that connect your device with the PC using the USB cable.
- Now, transfer the “boot.img” file from the extracted folder to your phone.
- Open magisk manager app.
- Go to Install > Install > Select and Patch a file.
- Navigate through the internal storage where you transferred the boot image earlier.
- Select the “boot.img” file that you copied from the steps mentioned above.
- Replace the “boot.img” file in the extracted folder with the newly created “patched_boot.img” file through the Magisk Manager App.
Flashing the patched boot image on Mi 10T
- Download ADB and Fastboot drivers on your computer and extract it to the folder.
- Copy the .tar file or patched boot image into the extracted ADB and Fastboot directory.
- Press the volume up and volume down button to boot the device in Download Mode.
- Connect your device with a PC using the USB Type-C cable.
- Open Command Prompt or Powershell by pressing Shift Key + right Mouse click in the ADB and Fastboot directory.
- After that, flash the patched boot image on your device by using the following command: fastboot flash boot patched_boot.img
- Use the following commands to boot the patched _boot.img: fastboot flash boot_a patched_boot.img followed by fastboot flash boot_b patched_boot.img
- After finishing the process, type the following commands to reboot your device:fastboot reboot
- The final reboot might take some time. Once finished, the device will be successfully rooted. Enjoy!
You can verify the root status in the Magisk Manager app. The phone will reboot eventually. After that enable the Magisk Hide. Then all you’ve to do is to reload the Magisk Manager and check for Safety Net for the green light.
However, in order to get back your warranty, you must uninstall Magisk from your device. The following are the steps: Magisk Manager>Uninstall>COMPLETE UNINSTALL. Once done, you can reboot your device.