You need to unlock the bootloader of your Android smartphone in order to flash a custom ROM or even root it. Here’s a detailed guide on how to unlock the bootloader of Redmi K20 Pro aka Mi 9T Pro phone. It is a simple and easy process written in plain language. Hopefully, you will get the most of it.
The famous and well-established Chinese brand Xiaomi owns a line of subsidiaries under its ecosystem. Redmi is one of them, quite popular (especially in India) for developing fully-furnished smartphones at incredibly-affordable prices. Now, it has an independent identity and launched products under its own branding.
Last year, the company introduced the Redmi K20 Series. Among others, the Redmi K20 Pro was a killer device with top-notch specifications to its name. Surprisingly, the company has named the same device as Mi 9T Pro for markets beyond India and China.
So, in today’s post, our chief focus will be on unlocking bootloader of Redmi K20 Pro/Mi 9T Pro smartphone. Underneath are some words about bootloader before we indulge in the said affair.
What is Bootloader?
Well, the bootloader is, basically, a code that operates whenever we turn our Android smartphone on. It helps to initialize hardware components, trigger RAM and Kernel to get the device in function stance.
Hence, the bootloader is nothing but a starter of the device in simple terms. Not only smartphones, but this concept also applies to other technological products like laptop, desktop, or any other computerized machine.
Need to unlock Bootloader | Why is it locked?
In most cases, smartphone manufacturers release their Android devices with a locked bootloader. The major cause behind this policy is to refrain users from accessing root apps/programs of the device. The company wants users to be glued with the Stock ROM by preventing them from modifying the firmware.
If your device has bootloader in a lacked state, you need to unlock it first to flash a custom ROM or to root. Further, it will allow you to access hidden apps and customize the interface as per your taste and needs.
Warnings for You
- Unlocking bootloader is a risk-involving process.
- It will void your device’s warranty for sure.
- It will brick your phone forever if you show a little carelessness during the unlocking process.
- This will trash your crucial data (backup is must-recommended).
Unlock Bootloader on Redmi K20 Pro/Mi 9T Pro
- Make sure your Redmi K20 Pro’s battery is a minimum 70% charged.
- Make sure you have backed up your personal data.
- You need a PC or laptop and a USB cable.
- Download the Mi Flash Unlock tool.
- Download and expand ADB and Fastboot Drivers.
- And download the latest Redmi K20 Pro USB Drivers on your PC.
Steps to unlock Redmi K20 aka Mi 9T Pro bootloader
- Firstly, you will enable ‘Developer Mode’ in your Redmi K20 Pro’s Settings.
- Now, activate ‘USB Debugging’ and ‘OEM Unlock’ in the ‘Developer Options.’
- Further, extract the Mi Flash Unlock zip file and open the Mi Flash Unlock tool in the extracted folder.
- Now, click on ‘Agree’ to proceed further.
- Now, it will ask you to log in to your Mi account.
- After logging into your Mi account, Xiaomi will verify your account by sending a text message to your number. If you get a message that read ‘Your Device is not Supported’, then don’t panic and simply click the ‘Go’ button. It will take to http://en.miui.com/unlock/ page.
- Now, you will click the ‘Unlock Now’ button on the blue screen with the text ‘Unlock Your Mi Device.’
- It will take you to the web browser, where you will log in to your Mi account again along with your mobile number.
- You will get an OTP, enter it to finish the process.
- Wait until your application is approved.
- Once accepted, you will again receive an OTP.
- Enter the OTP to proceed further.
- Now, you are close to unlocking your phone’s bootloader via the Mi Unlock tool.
- Open the Mi Unlock tool.
- Now, connect your Redmi K20 Pro phone to your PC via USB cable.
- Once connected, the ‘Unlock Now’ button will be activated.
- Click on ‘Unlock Now.’ It will start the unlocking process.
- Upon completion, you will get a message that writes ‘Your Device Bootloader is Unlocked’.
- Restart your Redmi K20 Pro smartphone and enjoy it.
- Congratulations! Now, you have unlocked your Redmi K20 Pro’s bootloader successfully.
So, that’s it in this guide on how to unlock bootloader of Redmi K20 Pro/Mi 9T Pro. Hopefully, you have followed the steps attentively to avoid any permanent damage to your Android smartphone. Now, you are free to flash any custom ROM or even root your Redmi K20 Pro handset to capture top-of-the-class user experience.