Redmi K30 4G has been one of the powerful mid-rangers of 2019 with the Qualcomm Snapdragon 730G onboard. The 120Hz fluid display added its value also making it one of the most lucrative smartphones in the price segment.
Unfortunately, the device has a paltry custom development field. No proper TWRP or any other custom recoveries. So, in order to root the device, we’ll make use of the Magisk patched boot image method.
First, you’ve to get your device bootloader unlocked by following the below steps.
How to Unlock the Bootloader of Redmi K30
Disclaimer: Bootloader unlock may erase your data. So backup all the necessary data before proceeding.
Once all the necessary files are downloaded and set-up. Proceed with the given steps.
- If not yet, create a Xiaomi Mi account and log-in to your device with the same credentials.
- Then visit Xiaomi’s bootloader unlock page
- Click the Unlock Now button and then log into your Mi account
- Wait for the bootloader to unlock the approval SMS message.
You need to have a Mi account created, confirmed, and attached to a phone number so Xiaomi can verify you are the owner of this device.
Open the Settings app on your device.
- Go to Mi Account, and log-in if not already done.
- Enable the Sync option and Find Device (You might need to enter the password if prompted)
- Enable Developer Options, then OEM Unlock and USB Debugging on the Redmi K30
- Download and Extract the Mi Unlock Tool to your PC
- Run the Mi Unlock program
It should be a file named “miflash_unlock.exe”.
- Sign in to your Mi Account on the Mi Flash Unlock Tool. Make sure to login with the same Mi ID you’ve used while requesting for the unlock.
- Boot the Redmi K30 into Fastboot Mode: Once the device has been shut off, press and hold the Power and Volume Down buttons together at the same time. Continue holding these two buttons down until you get to the Redmi K30 Fastboot Mode splash screen.
- Connect your device to the PC via micro USB cable.
- Click the Unlock button at the bottom of the Mi Unlock program
- Wait through the two warning pop-up messages and click the Unlock Anyway button
You should see the Unlock Anyway button appear after the countdown finishes.
- Wait for the Mi Unlock program to go through the Verify Device phase
- If everything goes smoothly you should see this image on the Mi Unlock program
Once the unlock is successful, the device would reboot automatically and during the phase, it’ll wipe the system/internal storage. So, as said earlier, don’t forget to backup important data.
Sometimes, Xioami would insist to wait for a period of time until you can unlock the device upon clicking the Unlock Anyway button mentioned in step 16. If that’s so, you’ve to wait the amount of time you were told and once done, repeat the steps once again.
Once you unlocked the bootloader, it’s time to root. Read on…
Root Redmi K30 4G Using Patched Boot Image Method
Get the stock firmware of your device. Extract a copy of the stock boot/recovery image from the stock firmware. If you are unable to obtain one yourself, just crawl the web and you might be lucky to get one. Nevertheless, the following instructions will guide you through the process after you have a copy of the boot/recovery image.
- Copy the boot/recovery image to your device
- Download and install the latest Magisk Manager
- If you are patching a recovery image, manually check “Recovery Mode” in Advanced Settings!
- Press Install → Install → Select and Patch a File, and select your stock boot/recovery image file
- Magisk Manager will patch the image, and store it in
- Copy the patched image from your device to your PC. If you can’t find it via MTP, you can pull the file with ADB:
adb pull /sdcard/Download/magisk_patched.img
- Flash the patched boot/recovery image to your device and reboot. For most devices, here is the fastboot command:
fastboot flash boot /path/to/magisk_patched.imgor
fastboot flash recovery /path/to/magisk_patched.imgif you are patching a recovery image.
Hope you’ve been able to root your device by following either of the two methods. For more tutorials and mods, do have a visit here.