LineageOS was born out of the discontinued CyanogenMod project. It borrows heavily from the source code of the CyanogenMod and even has a number of the former project developers on board as founding members. In fact, it can be viewed as a reincarnation of CyanogenMod. The popularity of LineageOS is attributed to its smooth performance while offering stock Android experience. In Lineage, you get to enjoy stock ROM with a dose of customizations. In our post today we’ll be looking at how to install Android-based LineageOS 17.1 on Galaxy S8. So if that’s what brings you here then read on to the end.
LineageOS enjoys massive support in the Android community just like its predecessor CyanogenMod. That’s not to say that it’s better than other custom ROMs but it’s surely on top of the list of custom ROMs that most people in modding circles would readily recommend if you have a supported device like the Samsung Galaxy S8. It’s also a stable ROM that can be used as a daily firmware without the worries of bugs and other software issues. The steps we cover on how to install Android-based LineageOS 17.1 on Galaxy S8 can actually be used to install any other ROM on the Galaxy S8 but it’s always recommended that you read through the developer’s instructions first.
Install Android-based LineageOS 17.1 on Galaxy S8
It’s not uncommon for Android 10 to experience delays in the update release cycles for the S8. However, you do not have to be restricted to the official OTA updates because with a custom ROM like the LineageOS 17.1 you get timely updates. In fact, the unofficial Lineage OS for the S8 is already available, the official version will likely follow soon. The unofficial version is devoid of any major bugs and any code imperfections in this issue will be fixed in the subsequent release.
First-timers in modding are likely to find the process of installing challenging. It doesn’t have to be so. All you need to do is follow the outlined guidelines as closely as possible and you’ll flash the ROM in no time. Let’s first look at the prerequisites.
- Flashing custom ROM on your Galaxy S8 will delete all data. Back-up is necessary, check our guide on how to back-up an android smartphone without root access.
- Download LineageOS 17.1 for Samsung Galaxy S8.
- Install TWRP Recovery on your Galaxy S8.
- Charge your smartphone to 60%.
- Get Gapps Package for Galaxy S8.
Steps to Install LineageOS 17 on Galaxy S8:
Now that you have all the required files you’re ready to install LineageOS 17.1 on your Galaxy S8. The same procedure can be used with any other custom recovery besides TWRP but TWRP is recommended due to ease of use.
- Ideally, you have saved the downloaded files on your smartphone’s internal storage where you can locate them easily.
- Switch-off your smartphone.
- Press and hold the key combination “Volume-Up+Bixby+Power” buttons for a few seconds.
- When you see the Samsung logo, release the buttons.
- Your smartphone will boot into TWRP Recovery Mode.
- Go to “Wipe” >> “Factory Reset” in TWRP Menu. This will erase all data to facilitate a clean flash.
- Next, tap the install option on the twrp menu and find LineageOS 17.1 ROM in the location you save it.
- Once you’ve flashed the Lineage OS 17.1 return to the TWRP Recovery menu.
- Repeat step 7 with Gapps file this time.
- Return to TWRP Main Menu and choose the “Reboot System“.
- Your smartphone will restart and boot into the new LineageOS 17.1.
And that wraps up the process of how to install Android-based LineageOS 17.1 on Galaxy S8. You can now enjoy the new installation and all goodies that come with it including timely updates and better battery usage. LineageOS ROM is not the only custom ROM for the Samsung Galaxy S8. So if you’ve already tried LineageOS then you might want to check our future update on additional custom ROMs for the Galaxy S8.
READ NEXT: Samsung Galaxy J3 Full Specifications