An AOSP based ROM and many other ROMs are now available for Redmi 3 Pro. In this guide, we look at the way to install custom ROM on Redmi 3 Pro. Apparently, the steps we are discussing can be implemented with any other custom ROM that supports Redmi 3 Pro.
Install custom ROM on Redmi 3 Pro
Redmi 3 Pro was launched in early 2016 with Android 5.1 (Lollipop) and MIUI 7.3. Since then, the company has released several versions of its MIUI skin but little has changed to the firmware core. MIUI 7.3 is for the most part sufficient for a lot of users. However, there’s a subset of users that are not satisfied with the stock firmware offering and are not fans of the MIUI either. They also prefer regular OTA updates and we know OEMs including Xiaomi can be slow at that. Such users desire regular updates and the ability to tweak device performance, aesthetics, and improve battery usage. It is this user that this post is for. The pixel experience ROM comes with major improvements to the user interface, hardware performance, and is gentle on the battery. Without further delay let’s start by learning how to install custom ROM on Redmi 3 Pro.
Disclaimer: Gadgetsay.com will not be responsible for any damage or loss incurred due to your use of this information. Rooting and flashing custom ROM are procedures usually meant for advanced users so ensure you’re fully informed and proceed with caution.
- Back-up your Redmi 3 Pro. Check our article on how to back-up Android smartphone data without root access.
- Charge your Redmi 3 Pro battery to at least 60% before you proceed.
- Install USB drivers for Redmi 3 Pro on a computer – Windows and Mac.
- Make sure your Redmi 3 Pro bootloader is unlocked.
- Download Pixel Experience ROM compatible Gapps Package onto your computer. NB: You can download it from the same page that has the ROM below.
- Root Your Redmi 3 Pro and Install TWRP Recovery.
- Download Pixel Experience ROM for Redmi 3 Pro.
Steps to Install Pixel Experience ROM on Xiaomi Redmi 3 Pro
- Download Pixel Experience ROM and compatible Gapps package from the sources above and save them on your PC.
- Connect your Redmi 3 Pro to the same PC via USB cable and transfer the ROM and Gapps files into your device’s internal storage.
- Switch-off your smartphone after moving the files.
- Boot your smartphone into TWRP recovery mode. Press the key combination “Volume Down and Power button” for a few seconds to do that.
- Do a Nandroid system back-up at the recover screen. This is necessary to recover the device in case something goes bad in the process.
- Next, do a factory reset. Select “Wipe” >> “Advance Wipe” >> “Wipe cache + Dalvik cache” >> “System Data”, finally swipe to confirm.
- Navigate to Install option and choose the downloaded Pixel Experience ROM zip file then >> Swipe to confirm.
- Repeat the same process with the Gapps zip file and return to the main recovery menu.
- Then tap “Wipe” >> Cache and Dalvik Cache then reboot.
- You’re done.
That’s precisely how to install custom ROM on Redmi 3 Pro. The same procedure can be used to install pretty much any other custom ROM besides Pixel Experience. Before you flash your device with a new ROM though, ensure you follow steps outlined by the developer of the new ROM. Many devices are bricked because users fail to follow instructions, don’t let that be you. Once you get familiar with modding you’ll realize that there are nuances to the process depending on the device. So following instructions to the later is paramount for success.