Did you know that you can install custom firmware on a Redmi 6A device in one of two ways? Yes. That’s actually the case and in our post today we look at how to install custom ROM on Xiaomi Redmi 6A smartphone. If that’s something you’ve wanted to do but didn’t know where to begin, then proceed below to learn about the two ways you can install custom ROMs and enjoy the benefits that come with it.
Disclaimer: Unlocking the bootloader and flashing ROM may void your device warranty. Gadgetsay.com will not be responsible for any damage or loss incurred due to your use of this information. Rooting and flashing custom ROM are procedures usually meant for advanced users so ensure you’re fully informed and proceed with caution.
- Unlocked bootloader and install TWRP on Redmi 6A.
- Download custom ROM for Redmi 6A
- Charge battery up to at least 60%
- Download Gapps package.
Steps to install custom ROM on Redmi 6A via TWRP
- Turn off your device and boot into Recovery mode. To do this press and hold down the “Volume Up + Power button” at the same time.
- Press the “Volume Up” button to proceed once you get an alert.
- Your device will boot and enter into the “TWRP Recovery Mode”.
- Choose “Wipe -> Advance Wipe -> Cache -> Dalvik -> System Data.
- System Data function will delete all files including your existing ROM.
- Return to the main TWRP menu and select “Install”.
- Choose your desired custom ROM file you downloaded.
- After the installation restarts your Redmi 6A.
Steps to install custom ROM on Redmi 6A via CWM:
This is the second method to install custom ROM on your Redmi 6A device that uses CWM Recovery which is an alternative to the TWRP.
- First, boot your Redmi 6A device into CWM (Clock Work Mod) recovery mode. To do this switch off your smartphone, then press power and volume down simultaneously. The device will boot into CWM Recovery.
- Once in recovery, you will be presented with a number of options, the most important one being system back-up which is essential should something go wrong during the custom ROM installation process. CWM just like TWRP allows you to restore your device in emergency cases.
- Once you do back-up. You can then factory reset your smartphone prior to installing any type of ROM. This can be done by going to Wipe Data / Factory Reset >> “Yes” Wipe All User Data. Wipe Cache too by going to >> Wipe Cache Partition >> “Yes” Wipe Cache.
- The next step is to flash custom ROM onto your 6A. To do this navigate to install zip and select the zip file from internal storage where you saved it.
- Select “Yes” to install the zip file.
- The installation process will begin. Do not interrupt it.
- If all goes well. You’ll have successfully flashed your custom ROM onto your Redmi 6A smartphone.
Redmi 6A Specs
Redmi 6A launched in June 2018 under the mid-range category of Xiaomi’s smartphones. You can only install Project Treble compatible ROMs on the Redmi 6A at this time. This is due to a Mediatek SoC issue that has prevented developers from developing ROMs for this device. That’s a situation that’d likely to change as time passes. Two ROMs are officially supported as of the time of writing, those are Lineage 16 and Bootlegger ROM. They’re still a big relief to users that don’t like the official MIUI. We hope this guide has been useful and taught you how to install custom ROM on Redmi 6A.