Rooting Android devices is a very popular trend. This popularity is driven by the ability to customise a device according to one’s wishes, something that’s only possible in rooted devices. And while Android device users love it, OEMs discourage the practice and keep inventing ways to secure their devices ROMs and restrict rooting such as using DM-Verity, a mechanism designed to restrict modifications of the Android system. One OEM that employs this security mechanism is Samsung. In this guide, we’ll show you how to root Galaxy J5 and Install TWRP using a technique that disables Dm-verity, keeps reading.
Disclaimer: Rooting may void your device warranty. Gadgetsay.com will not be responsible for any damage or loss incurred due to your use of this information. Rooting and flashing custom ROM are procedures usually meant for advanced users so ensure you’re fully informed and proceed with caution.
How to Root Galaxy J5 and Install TWRP
- Galaxy J5 with an unlocked bootloader.
- Install requisite USB Drivers on your PC.
- Back-up your data. Check our guide on how to backup Android smartphones without root access.
- Enable USB debugging and Developer Options on your Galaxy J5.
- Fully charge your smartphone or ensure it’s at 60% minimum charge.
- Download the latest version of Odin for Samsung devices.
- Get Magisk 18.1 for Galaxy J5. Download Here
- Download TWRP for Galaxy J5.
- Get No-verity-opt-encrypt.
The first important step is to install TWRP recovery on your device. We start with this step because you’ll need the recovery software to recover your device in case the operation fails to go through as expected. It also serves other important functions that are beyond the scope of this guide. Often Android devices come with their own default recovery but TWRP is preferred due to its versatility and added functionality.
How to Install TWRP Recovery on Galaxy J5
- Locate the downloaded TWRP recovery image and extract it. It’s often in.tar or .tar.md5 file compression format.
- Power-off your smartphone, restart and boot into “Download Mode”, do this by pressing the key combination “Volume Down + Home Button + Power Button” together.
- Start Odin on your computer.
- Connect your Galaxy J5 with the computer using a USB data cable. Preferably Samsung Original but any good quality data cable will work.
- If the connection is successful you will get an “Added” message on the Odin screen.
- Click the “AP” button on Odin and locate the extracted TWRP file.
- Click the Options Tab on Odin screen and then Auto Reboot and F.Reset Time. Don’t touch the other options.
- Click “Start” button to initiate the process.
- Once it completes successfully you will see a “PASS” message on the Odin screen.
- Your Galaxy J5 will restart automatically and TWRP recovery has been installed successfully.
Steps to Root Samsung Galaxy J5 via Magisk
- Copy the downloaded Magisk file to your smartphone’s internal storage.
- Boot your device into TWRP recovery mode by pressing and simultaneously holding “Volume-up + Power button”.
- Click the “Back-up” button in the TWRP menu and then select “Require Partition“.
- Swipe to create “Nandroid back-up“
- Click the “Install” button then browse to the Magisk.zip file and swipe to install it.
- Go to install again and locate the “No-verity-opt-encrypt” file you downloaded and Slide to install.
- Restart your device and it will be rooted. In case you encounter an “RMM State Error” message, then return to the No-verity-opt-encrypt folder and flash the “Rmm_State_zip” to resolve it.
That’s how to root Galaxy J5 and Install TWRP Recovery and it was easy, right? We love to hear from our readers so if you have any questions or comments about this guide then do not hesitate to contact us via the comments section below and show us some love by sharing 😉