In this guide, we’ll look at how to root Moto Z2 Force and install custom recovery. If you complete both steps successfully then you can easily flash your device with utilities like Xposed Framework and Viper4Android which open up a world of possibilities like endless customizations.
The Moto Z2 Force was released in July 2017. It was made available to a few markets such as India where it was available with the Moto Turbo Power. The modular structure of the Moto Z2 Force allows the use of special snap-on accessories for extra functionality. LG attempted to enter the modular device market with its own LG G5, but it never gained traction and was, for the most part, a massive flop. On the other hand, Motorola continues with its pursuit to make it a hit in the smartphone sector with some success so far.
Being a marquee model and a successor to the Moto Z series, it features a Snapdragon 835 chipset, a P-OLED 5.5-inch screen, and 12 MP shatterproof enabled dual-camera system with and more. Despite the incredible hardware options, the phone’s software isn’t that impressive. So if you’re tired of the stock firmware and want to make changes to the ROM, you’ll need to root it, install recovery and flash the ROM. That’s what we’ll be looking at in a bit. So grab a seat and follow along to learn how to root Moto Z2 Force and install Recovery.
Root Moto Z2 Force and install recovery
Motorola’s firmware closely follows the Android stock experience. That’s a good thing but it also means that users are limited to features and functions of the stock ROM. For example, to change the user interface, you must use a 3rd party launcher and associated icon packs. Advanced audio optimizations like Dolby Atmos are also not supported. There are advantages to staying close to stock AOSP but with shortcomings in terms of customization flexibility.
If you have your smartphone, follow the simple steps below to install TWRP Recovery and Root your Moto Z2 Force. Before proceeding, let’s take a look at some of the main advantages of rooting your Moto Z2 Force smartphone.
Android device rooting was a risky endeavor once that could result in device damaged beyond repair. Things have changed nowadays. If you get into a situation where the rooting process goes badly, you can easily unroot your device or even flash the original ROM using Fastboot and you’re sorted.
Moto Z2 Force is now supported by TWRP. This means you can install it from the official source for your smartphone with full confidence. The Moto Z2 Force makes use of the A/B partition system. This means you need to first boot the device into recovery mode to be able to flash TWRP. This new recovery offers decryption support as well. If you want you can also install SuperSU or Magisk and root your Moto Z2 Force. Read keenly and implement each step carefully in order to root your device and install-recovery.
Disclaimer: Even with advancements being made in the rooting process, it’s still a risky endeavor. Therefore, proceed with caution. Gagdetsay.com will not be liable for any damage to your device that occurs as a result of using this information.
- Charge your phone with a sufficient battery.
- Download SuperSu or Magisk Manager
- Back-up your Moto Z2 Force data using our guide
- Download TWRP Recovery on Moto Z2 Force.
- Install the Motorola USB driver on your computer.
- Download and Install ADB and Fastboot on your PC.
If you meet these requirements, follow the instructions to install recovery and root your Moto Z2 Force.
How to install TWRP Recovery on Moto Z2 Force
- Download installer zip and save it on internal phone storage.
- Download TWRP recovery image next.
- Copy “twrp-3.2.1-0-nash.img” file onto C: \ adb. or the same folder with platform-tools aka ADB and Fastboot binaries.
- Long press the Shift key on your keyboard and right-click anywhere on an empty space in the folder.
- Choose “Open PowerShell window here” from the context menu.
- Switch-off your smartphone.
- Press and hold the volume + on/off button to enter bootloader mode.
- Connect the phone to the PC via USB cable.
- Enter the command below to boot your phone into TWRP Recovery mode.
fastboot boot twrp-3.2.1-0-nash.img
- Your smartphone will boot into TWRP Recovery immediately.
- Tap “Install” on the recovery main menu.
- Choose the TWRP Installer zip downloaded earlier.
- The swipe to install TWRP Recovery on your Moto Z2 Force.
- Do not restart your phone just yet. Proceed below to root.
In this last section, you can disable device encryption (optional) or just proceed to root. It’s all up to you.
Root Moto Z2 Force
- In TWRP recovery mode Go to >> Wipe >> Format Data.
- Click “yes” in the designated field.
- This will clear the device. If you want to disable encryption which is optional proceed
- Go to >> Reboot >> Click “Recovery” to reboot TWRP.
- Open “Mount” Menu. Tap “Enable MTP”.
- Connect the phone to the PC via USB cable again.
- Transfer the Magisk ZIP file or SuperSU to internal storage.
- Disconnect your phone from the PC.
- Tap “Install” on the TWRP main menu.
- Pick Magisk or SuperSU root file.
- Swipe to Root your Moto Z2 Force.
- Click Restart the system when the flashing is complete.
As soon as the device is ready for use, the root application can be used to install Mods like Xposed or ViPER4Android. If you choose Magisk as your preferred root method, you can also install the Magisk module to add third-party functionality to your device.
That’s the end of our article on How to root Moto Z2 force and Install recovery. If you have questions or comments, leave them in the comments section below.