Are you a Xiaomi Redmi 5 user thinking about ditching MIUI for a custom ROM? We’ll help you accomplish that in this guide on how to root Redmi 5 and install TWRP Recovery. The Redmi 5 has official TWRP support, we’ll provide a link to download and install the same later on in the post. TWRP Recovery is an essential part of rooting Android devices. It’s also highly recommended because it helps an Android user recover their device should something go wrong whenever you modify device firmware either to unlock the bootloader, root or install custom ROM.
Disclaimer: Unlocking the bootloader and rooting may void your device warranty. Gadgetsay.com will not be responsible for any damage or loss incurred due to your use of this information. Rooting and flashing custom ROM are procedures usually meant for advanced users so ensure you’re fully informed and proceed with caution.
- Redmi 5 with an unlocked bootloader and OEM unlocking enabled.
- Back-up your device data. Check our guide on how to backup Android smartphones without root access.
- Computer/Mac with ADB and Fastboot installed.
- Set a PIN or Password without Zero “0”. You’ll need the PIN/Password to decrypt your smartphone’s storage.
- Download TWRP for Xiaomi Redmi 5.
- Get Magisk for Xiaomi Redmi 5 or SuperSU.
Once the prerequisites are met, we can proceed with the procedures on how to root Redmi 5 and install TWRP Recovery.
Install TWRP Recovery on Xiaomi Redmi 5:
First, you need to install TWRP Recovery on your Xiaomi Redmi 5. This can be done as follows:
- Download the TWRP Recovery image from the link in the prerequisite above.
- Move the downloaded TWRP image file to C:\adb on your computer. This is the same location that has the ADB and Fastboot files.
- Browse to the folder/directory and open in. Press SHIFT Key on your keyboard and right-click over the open folder.
- On the drop-down menu select “Open Powershell Window Here.”
- Switch-off your Redmi Device and boot into Fastboot Mode by pressing the volume down and power button at the same time.
- Connect your smartphone to the computer via USB Cable.
- Install TWRP by entering the following command into Powershell Window:
fastboot flash recovery twrp-3.2.3-0-rosy.img
NB: remember to substitute the highlighted section in italics with the actual filename of the TWRP image file that you downloaded.
- Don’t reboot your device.
You have successfully installed TWRP Recovery on your Redmi 5. Next, let’s go to the final process of rooting the device.
Root Xiaomi Redmi 5 using SuperSU Magisk:
- Boot your smartphone into TWRP Recovery mode.
- You might be prompted for a PIN/password, enter what you wrote down earlier.
- Select “Wipe >> Format Data” on TWRP Recovery Menu.
- Tap “Yes” to confirm the deletion of system files. This step will result in the total and permanent deletion of all files in your device. Reason for recommending back-up earlier.
- Restart device into recovery by selecting >> Reboot >> Recovery.
- Go to “Mount” on TWRP.
- Connect the device to computer/mac via USB cable and select “Enable MTP”.
- Transfer the downloaded SuperSU or Magisk zip files onto your smartphone’s internal storage.
- Disconnect device from the computer.
- Go to TWRP Recovery Menu and select “Install”.
- Browse to the Magisk or SuperSU zip file.
- Swipe to confirm flash. This will root your Xiaomi Redmi 5.
- Once the process completes. Tap “Wipe Cache/Dalvik”
- Restart your smartphone after cache clearing is complete by selecting “Reboot System”.
That’s how to root Redmi 5 and install TWRP Recovery. You now have root privilege on your device. Check out our next article.