In our guide today we look at how to root Redmi K20 Pro/Mi9T Pro and install TWRP recovery. The Redmi K20 Pro is a premium device with high-end specs. The smartphone was well received in both the domestic and international markets after the launch. The positive response from buyers is attributed to the Redmi K20 Pro’s high specifications as well as affordability. It’s also interesting to note that it’s not just end-users who have been enthusiastic about this smartphone.
Must See: Redmi K Series with Cezanne codename and Full-View 144Hz display reportedly coming in July
It’s necessary to root the Redmi K20 Pro if you want to customize the system. Customization includes things like installing aftermarket ROMs, custom MODs, custom recoveries, and a host of other enhancements. Prior to rooting, you need to install custom recovery.
Custom recovery helps recover your smartphone in case rooting or flashing goes awry. Often failed rooting or custom ROM installation will result in a bricked device. The most popular custom recovery we’ll be working with is TWRP Recovery. TWRP makes it possible to perform full system back-up using Nandroid too but may also void your warranty. Let’s get started with learning how to root Redmi K20 Pro/Mi9T Pro and Install TWRP.
Disclaimer: Gadgetsay.com will not be responsible for any damage or loss incurred due to your use of this information. Rooting and flashing custom ROM are procedures usually meant for advanced users so ensure you’re fully informed and proceed with caution.
- Xiaomi Redmi K20 Pro/Mi9T Pro smartphone with an unlocked bootloader.
- Download ADB and Fastboot binaries onto your computer. (Windows and Mac).
- Back-up your data. Check our guide on how to back-up Android smartphones without root access.
- Download TWRP Recovery files for Redmi K20 Pro/Mi9T Pro.
- Charge smartphones to at least 60%.
- Download SuperSu
Steps to install TWRP on Redmi K20 Pro/Mi9T Pro:
Ensure you execute each of the steps outlined below with care. Failure to do that might damage your smartphone.
- Extract the downloaded ADB and Fastboot binaries into a folder.
- Download TWRP Recovery zip files and transfer it to the same folder with extracted ADB and Fastboot binaries.
- Enable Developer and USB Debugging Mode.
- Launch Command Prompt or PowerShell if using Windows PC. Sometimes you can do this by using Keyboard and mouse combination “Shift + Right Mouse key”.
- Switch Off your smartphone. Boot it into fastboot mode by using the combination of keys “Volume up + Power” together.
- Connect your smartphone to the computer via USB cable.
- Enter the command below to check device connectivity. Adb devices
- Reboot into the bootloader by using the command. Fastboot reboot bootloader
- Flash TWRP while in the bootloader mode by using the command fastboot flash twrp.img NB: twrp.img should be replaced with the actual filename of the downloaded twrp file.
- Type the highlighted command to reboot the device. fastboot reboot
Once you reach here you’ll have flashed TWRP recovery successfully. Next, let’s look at how to root Xiaomi’s Redmi K20.
Steps to Root Redmi K20 Pro with SuperSu:
We’ll use SuperSU. The same process can be done using Magisk. The choice is yours.
- Use the link in prerequisites to download SuperSU and move it to your device’s internal memory.
- Switch off your smartphone and boot into recovery. NB: Same key combination as above.
- Press “install” in TWRP Recovery then locate the downloaded SuperSu file.
- Swipe the slider to flash SuperSU.
- Reboot your Redmi K20 after flashing.
And that’s how you how to root Redmi K20 Pro/Mi9T Pro and Install TWRP. Do not hesitate to share if you find this guide useful. You also contact us with any questions by posting in the comments sections below.