Redmi Note 7 Pro was released in March 2019. Barely two months after the launch, unofficial custom ROMs were available for it. That’s a sign of the device’s popularity and Xiaomi’s supportive attitude towards third-party developers. It’s now possible to root Redmi Note 7 Pro. The process can be completed conveniently from a simple user interface. Once you root your device, you can then go ahead and install custom recovery.
TWRP Redmi Note 7 Pro support is officially available and highly recommended for this process. It’s also possible to root your Redmi Note 7 Pro and other Android devices without a computer. However, rooting on the mobile device is rather limiting and only supported on a few models, thus the PC option is more optimal. In this post we’re going to look at how to root Redmi Note 7 Pro and install TWRP recovery. We’re going to use Magisk to root.
TWRP is free to download and use custom recovery utility for Android devices. It’s open-source with a GUI and is very popular in modding circles. With TWRP you can flash your device with custom ROMs and perform a plethora of functions such as installing customization modules easily. TWRP supports system back-up, which is very useful in cases where you need to roll back changes to your firmware, something that cannot be done without a custom recovery. Let’s get started with our guide on how to root Redmi Note 7 Pro and install TWRP recovery.
Disclaimer: This procedure can result in damage to your device. Gadgetsay.com will not be liable as a result. Proceed with caution.
- Charge your device battery to 60%
- Back-up your data to prevent loss
- Download TWRP Recovery
- Install ADB and Fastboot Drivers on your computer
- Download and install Xiaomi USB Drivers
- Unlock the bootloader of your Redmi Note 7 Pro.
- Download Magisk Framework
- Enable USB Debugging Mode
- Download Disable-Force-Encryption-Treble.zip. (Save in internal storage)
Step 1: Install TWRP on Redmi Note 7 Pro
- Enable OEM to unlock under developer options.
- Connect your Redmi Note 7 Pro Smartphone to the computer using a USB cable.
- Unzip ADB and Fastboot drivers onto the same folder that has TWRP image files.
- Launch Command Prompt or Powershell on the same folder in step 3 above, you can do this by right-clicking and selecting “Open PowerShell Windows here“.
- Enter the following command in PowerShell or CMD Windows to boot your device into fastboot mode. Accept any prompts for USB debugging.
adb reboot bootloader
- Enter the command below once your device boots into fastboot. This will flash the TWRP image downloaded earlier.
fastboot flash recovery twrp-3.2.3-violet.img
- Reboot the device once flashing completes by entering the following command into cmd or PowerShell
You’re good to go. TWRP Recovery is successfully installed on your Redmi Note 7 Pro. Next, we’ll look at how to root your device using the Magisk Framework.
Step 2: Root Redmi Note 7 Pro using Magisk
- After the device restarts, connect to the computer for root access.
- Boot device into TWRP recovery mode by typing the ADB command below.
adb reboot recovery
- Once the device boots into TWRP mode, perform a full NANDroid back-up if necessary.
- Choose “Install” from TWRP Menu and locate “Magisk.zip” that you downloaded earlier. Tap to select.
- Swipe to confirm flash
- After a successful install, choose “Install” again and find “no-verity-force-encrypt.zip” and select it.
- Swipe to confirm flash once more.
- Restart System from TWRP recovery mode.
- After restarting, you will have access to Magisk Manager where you can control access to every app.
That’s it. That’s how to root Redmi Note 7 Pro and install TWRP recovery. You can also install the Root Checker app to verify the root status.