According to 91mobiles, Qualcomm is expected to release its next-generation flagship chip Snapdragon 875 later this year. It will be the first 5nm mobile platform of the company.
The Snapdragon 875 will be Qualcomm’s first chip with the new X60 5G modem-RF. It is unclear whether the 5G modem is integrated or optional. In addition, the upcoming SND875 chipset is code-named SM8350, which is not surprising considering that its predecessor was code-named SM8250.
The following are the main functions and specifications of the Snapdragon 875:
- Kryo 685 CPU built on Arm v8 Cortex technology
- 3G / 4G / 5G modem – millimeter wave (mmWave) and sub-6 GHz frequency band
- Adreno 660 GPU
- Adreno 665 VPU
- Qualcomm Security Processing Unit (SPU250)
- Adreno 1095 DPU
- Spectra 580 image processing engine
- Snapdragon Sensors Core technology
- External 802.11ax, 2 × 2 MIMO and Bluetooth Milan
- Hexagon DSP calculation using hexagonal vector expansion and hexagonal tensor accelerator
- Four-channel stacked package (PoP) high-speed LPDDR5 SDRAM
- Low-power audio subsystem, combined with Aqstic Audio Technologies WCD9380 and WCD9385 audio codec
It’s also said that the Snapdragon 875 will be manufactured using the latest 5nm process. So compared with the Snapdragon 865, it will bring significant performance and graphics improvements and higher energy efficiency.
The Snapdragon 875 is expected to be released in December 2020. But considering the impact of the epidemic, it may be delayed until the beginning of 2021. One more thing – we know for sure that the Snapdragon 875 will be produced by TSMC.
In this regard, yesterday, we also reported that TSMC has won all major orders of NVIDIA for manufacturing its 5nm and 7nm chips. It turns out TSMC will continue to remain the main player in this field. Also, Qualcomm still continues to keep its leading position in the high-end mobile chip market. Huawei, MediaTek, and many other small manufacturers should accept this.